Latest 2015 trials support better yields and quality when applying Sulphur
2015 is a typical Sulphur responsive year
Sulphur benefits yield:
- Sulphur has increased yields by at least 0.5t DM/ha
- An extra 0.5t DM silage at 11 ME costs £40 to make (£80/t DM)
- If used at 75% efficiency, this gives an extra 4,125 MJ ME per ha and will make 764 litres of milk (benefit after cost of £143/ha)
- The same energy can be used to replace 0.33t concentrate (benefit after cost of £52/ha).
Sulphur benefits quality:
- Improved protein and sugar contents will increase DM intakes
- 1kg extra silage DM intake per cow per day at 11 ME equates to 2 litres milk or 0.88kg concentrate less fed
- That’s an opportunity of an extra 48p per cow, per day in milk or a saving 16p per cow, per day in less concentrate fed.